Beaverton is a community located in the Brock township and the Regional Municipality of Durham. Beaverton has been in existence since 1822. Originally, it was located on Lake Simcoe – in the middle of what would later become Canada – at the mouth of the Beaver River. It was originally called Calder’s Mills after one of its founders Duncan Miller. It was known as Mill Town and Milton before its renaming to Beaverton when postal services were established there in 1835.
By 1869, Beaverton was a thriving village with a population of 700 in the Township of Thorah Township in Ontario County. It was the endpoint for the Port Hope, Lindsay and Beaverton Railway in 1858. The steamer Emily May ran daily to Bell Ewart station of the Northern Railroad; there were also stagecoaches running daily to Whitby and Oshawa. After an incorporation act in 1884, this town became a flourishing Village.
When Durham Region was established in 1974, it absorbed the township of Beaverton and its townships (Thorah Township, the original Brock Township and the Villages of Cannington and Sunderland) to create a larger municipality known as Brock.
Beaverton is the largest town in Brock County, with 2,000 people.